Know Your Genes – COMT:
Motivation, motor control, cognition and reward inspired behavior are managed by this gene. Sometimes the COMT gene’s structure exhibits variations. The urge towards physical activity is lowered when the COMT gene has alterations in its structure. As a consequence people who have an alteration in this gene do not take easily to physical activity. Decreased physical activity can leads to fat build up and obesity. People with this condition are obese. The gene is one of the reason for obesity and all other complications that arise due to obesity. The following article will give you some more insights about managing obesity.
Obesity, well it’s such a common word. But how can be we know if we are really obese? Obesity is the condition of overweight with a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or more. BMI is a measure of your weight according to your height. Changing food habits and lifestyles play a very important role in the increase of obesity, even in young people. This problem has many side effects which may turn out to be fatal. Many researchers have blamed low physical activity as the reason for obesity. Technology and convenience have decreased our physical activities, resulting in an abnormal weight gain.
Researchers have assessed BMI and waist circumference along with the physical activity and calorie intake of many people to conclude that the percentage of adult women (18-39 years of age) with no physical activity has increased astonishingly from 19 % to 52 % in 2009-2010. The reports have similar results in men too, as the percentage has risen from 11 to 44. All together, more than 50 % of adults reported no leisure-time physical activity. This has resulted in a BMI and waist circumference increase in both women and men.
The ill effects of Obesity
- Cardiovascular disease
- Colon and breast cancers
- Type 2 diabetes
- High blood pressure
- The babies of obese women have a higher risk of birth defects[/one_third][one_third]
Get Physically Active
- Improves musculoskeletal health
- Reduces health hazards such as high blood pressure and high blood cholesterol
- Helps burn calories and losing weight
- Increases your metabolic rate
- Improves blood circulation
- Improves heart and lung function
- Reduces stress and improves mental health
- Suppresses your appetite[/one_third]
How to be physically active?
- Walk every day. Brisk walking is the best
- Play a sport that you like. It may be football, tennis or badminton
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Hit the gym. Work out regularly. You can also join an exercise class. Yoga, karate, aerobics, etc. There are a variety of classes to choose from
- If you love dancing, join a dance class. It is a great physical activity[/one_third]
Burning the calories that you intake is very important. Hence, it is very crucial that you should be physically active. Sedentary lifestyle can cause obesity, very soon. Being physically active will not only make you fit, but will also help you become more socially active.