Genetic make-up analysis to prevent diseasesFebruary 3, 2014
Reverse signs of ageing with healthy lifestyleFebruary 17, 2014
It’s your lifestyle!
“In minds crammed with thoughts, organs clogged with toxins, and bodies stiffened with neglect, there is just no space for anything else”
People often underestimate the gloomy effects of an unhealthy lifestyle. When you’re addicted to an unhealthy lifestyle just like the late award winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman, you may not be able to revive just like he suffered an undesirable end. With deepest sympathy, let’s take this opportunity to look back and take control of our life.
Positive lifestyle changes with a healthy diet can make you feel a lot better. The choices you make about how you want to live can make a significant difference in your health. You’ll have to be motivated to make any number of positive lifestyle changes to stay healthy. It’s all about living well for longer.
Let’s understand and adopt a comprehensive approach to total wellness
- Adopting a balanced diet:Balanced diet simply means ‘eating the right food in the right quantity with the right proportion and at the right time’ to keep you well. Understand the RDA (Recommended Daily Allowances) for the quantity of a particular nutrient which you should consume daily in order to maintain optimal health.
- Doing some exercise:If exercise and regular physical activity can benefit your body, a sedentary lifestyle does the opposite, that is., it increases your chances for developing obesity and a number of chronic diseases. Proper exercise will create strength, flexibility, endurance and balance. Make sure you do some form of exercise every day, so that you will be heart healthy, active and fit forever.
- Adopting stress management techniques, such as meditation and yoga can make your life stress simple and stress-free. Live each day in alignment with your health.
- Adopting greater intimacy and social support: Studies have demonstrated a positive association between increased levels of social support and reduced risk for diseases, mental illness, and mortality. Social support includes real or perceived resources provided by others that enable a person to feel cared for, valued, and a part of communication and mutual obligation. Social networks, whether formal or informal provide a sense of belonging, security, and community. You can avoid a wide array of lifestyle-induced diseases, if you have an extensive social support.
- Last but never the least, know what your DNA tells about your health: Your DNA sets you apart from others. Genes have a good grip on your current health condition. And you can know your predisposition for various lifestyle diseases by getting your DNA tested. At XCode, with a Lifelong Wellness assessment we quantify your relative risk for genetic predisposition to lifestyle-associated, non- communicable diseases like Obesity, Diabetes, Hypertension, Heart disease and Stroke using SNPs that have significant association (GWAS) shown in Indian population. In addition to assessing the risk for diseases, our genetic assessment also includes Nutrigenomic variable screening based on which personalized recommendations on diet, fitness and personal habits are made.
Having said all of this, what we need from you, is to get your DNA tested and follow a healthy lifestyle. After all you’re never too young or too old to switch to a healthier lifestyle. Staying healthy and feeling better is important at any age.